Saturday, April 29, 2017

As you are - from Human by Rag 'n' Bone Man You wrote my heart thank you.



Every once in awhile the come along a person who seems to have been in your head and says the things you feel. This has happened to me recently. I heard Human the single by Rag 'n' Bone Man and was blown away by it and his voice so I looked on line and discovered more of his songs. It has been a very long time since I got this excited about anyone, so as soon as I had enough money I went and got his album Human. Not able to contain my excitement I played it in the car on the way home. Aly and I both loved most of the tracks, but not all if we're honesty, on first hearing as some seemed a bit draggy and preachy. We both loved Human and Skin which in our opinion anyone who doesn't like is someone who doesn't like choccy, yes that bad. As we were playing I was reading the lyrics and taken back many, many, years when excitedly I would rush out and get the latest T.Rex album and read them! To my amazement Aly, also did the same thing and we both agreed it was the best album we's heard in years.

On the whole album there is one song that stood out for me and made tears come to my eyes, for here someone was singing about how I felt about Aly! How the hell did they know that ?? Well, it is not about her as he's never met her or me, but you all know what I mean. That song is called As you are. Now I am going to quote from it and please note that these lyrics are copyright to Rag 'n' Bone man and are not my words.

You raised the lights when it was frightening
You calmed the storm when it was rising
You found me there where I was hiding
All I have is here and now

It was these first lines that made me want to cry as this is exactly how I feel about Aly, she did these things for me, stopped me from being frightened and still does. She does calm my storms when the abuse I went through threaten to swamp me. She did find the real Kev who was hiding deep inside afraid to come out for various reasons . Yes all I have is here is and now. Most importantly it is all I want and nothing more.

If the ground beneath our feet has disappeared
I'll be here beside you, always be right near you
Remember me, won't you?

This is me asking if things go wrong please stay, which I know she will and has done so.

I know we've all got our problems
And it's a blessing that we made it here so far
If you lay here in these arms tonight I promise
I promise to take you, take you as you are

This is how I felt about Aly when I first met her and we both really felt about each other - for they about acceptance of the other as you are.

When I was reaching out in the dark
When the streets below just looked so far
When I forgot everything that I was
All I needed was your love

These for me are the "killer lines" For the abuse that I had made as a barrier around me so I couldn't be touched by others and so many said there was a barrier and I forgot how to love and how to be me, the real me, all I needed was to be loved. I think we all need that someone, some one who can make us feel safe enough to be ourselves, not to be afraid of who we are, someone that loves us as we are,  not what we show the world or what others think we are but the one who really knows us.  Yes these lines made me cry for I realised that all I needed was Aly's love and then Kev could be Kev at long last.

Need Your Love So Bad will always be "our song" for it was playing when we met and we play it every year as we remember that moment when we fell in love. Yet this song As You are, is perhaps the mature version of that, how through the years we've realised just how deep our love is and how we both really just needed someone to love us as we are and nothing more.

So Mr Rag 'n' Bone Man thank you, for saying what I have been trying to say  to my wife - nowt more to say than that .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time for a complete ban on smoking in public places

Follow @merimaat I am an ex smoker, been that long enough to be a non smoker so I am speaking from both sides. When I smoked I really did...