Saturday, June 10, 2017

Mavis Upton I love you Handcuffs,Truncheon & a Polyester Thong by Gina Kirkham my review



It is more years than I care to remember that I sat and read a book all the way through as I have done with   Handcuffs,Truncheon & a Polyester Thong by Gina Kirkham.

This beautifully written book by Gina will have you laughing out loud many times, make you think and even make you cry as it did me. It will also make you forget that you made a drink and by the time you remember, it is stone cold.

Mavis the main character in this and through whom we get the whole story is so wonderfully written that you forget that she is a character, for she becomes real to you. You laugh with her not at her and you're on her side. The story of the engine being stolen, well that is just comic genius in my opinion. Mavis is the not quite, who becomes the quite and even when she is successful, the not quite bit of her comes out. She is very, very human and her life touches every part of our shared humanity, the comedy and sadness, the loneliness and the success.  The single mother, who loves her daughter, she also a daughter with a loving mother and who yearns for the father who left. This thread, the one of the missing father weaves like silver through it and is one that many of us can relate to. Gina leaves the story of him as an opening or is it closing chapter.

I loved the mother, as much as I know Gina loves her mother. I don't want to spoil it for others, but this was one part that made me cry and I know from her blogs that this was the hardest part for Gina to write. I can not do justice the the Mum in the few words I have here and when you read this you'll understand why.

The daughter equally well written and true to life a wonderful character for whom Mavis works so hard for and feels guilty about leaving as her job takes more and more time.

There is in truth not once character that is not well written and believable, quite simply we all know these types and have come across from them.

Mavis the police officer, again reminds us all that the police that we take so much from granted and only see the uniform not the person, we need to think more about and give them the respect they really deserve. Any one in the Police Force or who has been in the Police Force will recognise more than we civilians do, but through Mavis we can a glance at this otherwise closed world. The "gallows humour" is one of the funniest of many funny parts in this wonderful book.

This is a book that deserves to be a film, but part of me doesn't want it to be as film can never quite capture what your mind does when the author wonderfully weaves their magic. Marc Bolan wrote about when the writer talks to you as a friend - Gina is that writer and that friend, a bard like the old days who captures your imagination as they weave their magical words creating places and worlds for you to be. 

Yes Mavis I am totally in love with you and want more of you and your adventures, so if you can have a word to Gina to get her pen out again, but not one full of earwax. Oh yes Gina, I am also in love with you for without you Mavis would not be in our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Time for a complete ban on smoking in public places

Follow @merimaat I am an ex smoker, been that long enough to be a non smoker so I am speaking from both sides. When I smoked I really did...